fam

fam

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Earrings & Ear Piercings

So I have been debating getting the girls ears pierced since I found out I was pregnant with girls. Both my mom and MIL have voiced concerns about getting them done to young. Telling me horror stories about babies with bad infections in their ears/neck.

Yes my MIL was a nurse, and saw all those kids who this happened to. So its understandable that she is concerned, my mom also heard from other parents about this happening. That is why I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 5.

5 year old me, don't judge it was the 80's


I know I want to get their ears pierced.

I know that there are pros and cons to getting it done young.

But I also now have the added unknown with Gwen's HA. Every time I search online if she can get her ears pierced I get conflicting responses. I would just want to know if its possible, and if it is if she can't wear her HAs while they are healing. Both of those will effect when we will get them done. I don't think it would be an issue her receiver doesn't go near her lobe, but I'm still curious.

Miss G making the ear piercing decision hard 


Matthew is for getting them pierced, but thinks they need to be 2 or 3 before we do. I'm fine with that. He gets as much say as me. I'm also fine with waiting until they are 5 like I was. It might be a nice thing to do on their 5th birthday, I still remember getting mine done then. But then again, was it on my birthday??? With being born in December, I doubt that my parents would subject themselves to trying to keep earrings in during the winter.


The other thing is, could/should I get Avery's ears pierced at a different time then Gwen? I know that if for some reason Gwen can't get her ears pierced then I can't say no to Avery. But if for some reason we just need to wait for a certain age for Gwen to get the done to help her better, should I wait for that age for Avery too? Or would it just be easier to do the ear care separate?

Avery doesn't seem to have any issues preventing her ear piercing 


So many things to think about....

Any mom's out there who got their little girls ears pierced?

Any with HAs?

What would you do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Admittedly, it is a personal decision, but like many other moms with little girls, I was unsure when to pierce her ears.

Like you When I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to do it early after I dreamed seeing my baby girl with little earrings soon after birth. I discussed with dh and he was okay with it, but I waited for unknown reasons till she was 18 months.

Somewhere along the way I became one of those mamas who became all googly-eyed over other babies and toddlers who had pierced ears saying how adorable they were. One day I put my pearls in and wondered how my dd would like with little pearls. As I held my pearl studs up to her ears in front of the mirror. She smiled and I knew it was time at 18 months.

I asked our ped and she encouraged me to go ahead when mommy could care for them during the healing period. Also, she gave me some tips for moms having their dd's ears pierced. They included how to find the right person, where to take her and some OTC meds to minimize any discomfort. We did her at two months old and she did great. Read where one of your girls has HA, so I'd ask you ped if it is okay to have her ears pierced now. If so, then I'd do both girls now. They will look darling with little earrings.

Don't think you're a selfish mom for doing it now. As you said, "...I know I want to get their ears pierced."

Since your thinking about it, your mommy intuition is already telling sooner is best and dh is on board with your decision.

Drop me an e-mail if you would like our ped's recommendations.

Amy
amyswor@hotmail.com

Erin said...

Thanks Amy, I will send you an email. I always try to get as educated as possible when it comes to these type of decisions for the kids.