fam

fam

Saturday 24 August 2013

Denial?

Lately in conversation with strangers when asked how old the girls are I always say "they are x months old, but they were a bit early"

My mother-in-law has heard me say this and each time I say it in her presence she corrects me saying "they were not a "bit" early they were 15 weeks early" And if she gets asked their age she always says "they are x months old but were 15 weeks early"

I can understand were she is coming from, the girls were more then a "bit" early. They have grown well and are doing awesome given what they have gone through and all they have overcome.



But...

I love sharing the info, I do. But part of me wants to try to, not forget it, but get past the NICU the premature delivery. Of course I will share my info with others, help people going through the same thing, phrase my girls for overcoming more in their short lives then most will in their lives.

At the same time I don't want to forget.

I can't.

But in trying to distance us from it to strangers am I doing the girls a disservice? Should I just say they were 15 weeks early to everyone who asks?

I realized that I had believed that it was only 14 days before held Gwen, and had be believing that for some time. That isn't true. I am getting pictures of the girls organized to start their scrapbook and have realized I held Avery at 15 days and Gwen was 23 days old.

15 & 23 days before I could hold them.

Avery- Jan 5, 2012
Gwen - Jan 13, 2012

2 comments:

Jacana28 said...

As the mom of a 26 weeker, I can't just "forget" what happened. Now almost 2 years out, it doesn't hurt as much to talk about it.

Erin said...

I can't purposely forget but I think with life I have muddled the facts